Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 40-45 minutes
- 3 bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- Olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes (or 2-3 fresh tomatoes, diced)
- 6-8 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups shredded mexi blend cheese
Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of cayenne (more if you like spicy)
- Prepare/mix the fajita seasoning in a small bowl. Use half of it to season the chicken. Set the rest aside.
- Heat a large skillet, on medium high, with 1 tsp olive oil and saute the peppers and onion in two batches until they JUST start to soften (roughly 3 minutes). Don’t forget to season with salt and pepper (can also use garlic powder.) Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In the same skillet, lightly drizzle the pan with llive oil and cook the chicken strips on medium heat. About 4-5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear when thickest part is sliced. Remove the chicken from pan and cube into bite sized pieces.
- In a large bowl combine the beans, tomatoes, and remaining fajita seasoning. Add the chicken, peppers, and onions and mix all together.
- Place 1/2 cup or so of the mixture on the bottom of a greased 9×13″ baking dish.
- Next, place 3-4 tortillas on top. Then add more chicken mixture on top, cover all the tortillas.
- One more layer tortillas on top of that and then top with the remaining chicken mixture.
- Finally top with cheese, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Slice like lasagna and serve warm
- Optional: top with avocado or plain Greek yogurt.
Eat like a champion!